Radiator to be moved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After some advice before I move a radiator.
The half-height wall needs to come out and the opening will be later filled with patio/sliding doors.
I want to move the rad onto the wall next to it. I will sort the socket move first of course.

Now I've got the wood floor up, I can see that the pipes disappear through the Marley floor tiles underneath into the concrete floor.

I'm assuming I need to open up the concrete carefully around the pipes, but as i've not done this before i was after some advice on the best course of action then?
E.g. Drain system, remove/drain the rad and cap the two pipes with compression ends, maybe take out the small wall first then use Solder fittings and new copper and run in a channel to route to the wall?
There's a chance that the pipes may actually come from under the wall I want to move to, as this is the kitchen where the boiler used to be and combi now routes into.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
i would chop floor out carefully following the pipes, drain down first though. then you need to chase out floor for new pipe run. you will need to use soldered fitting which can be difficult to solder if any water still in pipes. if you can raise the joint where new pipe meets old then it will be easier to solder and once soldered you can drop back down. make sure you wrap pipes in denso or electrical tape before you fill in!
good luck

i would chop floor out carefully following the pipes, drain down first though. then you need to chase out floor for new pipe run. you will need to use soldered fitting which can be difficult to solder if any water still in pipes. if you can raise the joint where new pipe meets old then it will be easier to solder and once soldered you can drop back down. make sure you wrap pipes in denso or electrical tape before you fill in!
good luck

Have opened the floor now after draining the system down.
Some pics for a closer look.
Is it usual for the rad in/out to be on the same piece of pipe?

There's not a lot of play in the pipework, as it's tight in the wall and continues under the concrete at the other end.

I also found in the kitchen that the existing pipework was imperial rather than metric 22mm, so not sure what this is yet.

Any advice how best to approach this? Where to cut etc.

I'm not sure if more of the wood floor will come up easily. If need be, some pipework running along above skirt wouldn't be the end of the world.

It's a one pipe system, if you're not fussed about pipe running along skirting just put a tee in, run the new pipe along skirting and branch off for both sides of rad valves and solder a stop end just after where you tee off.

Sponsored Links
It's a one pipe system, if you're not fussed about pipe running along skirting just put a tee in, run the new pipe along skirting and branch off for both sides of rad valves and solder a stop end just after where you tee off.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
It's not very clear from pic #3 (my apologies) but the pipework continues elsewhere in the house.
I'm assuming that means not to put a stop end after where I tee off? Do I tee off and come back in to the original somewhere it is exposed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back