radiator valve drain off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have no drain off on any of the radiators downstairs,so would like to fit a valve with drain off, but don't know which of the 4 radiators to fit it to, can i fit it to anyone of them
i have a combination boiler upstairs with 8mm microbore pipe coming from manifold's going to radiators

Sponsored Links
You need to fit it to the lowest point on the system, or all the lowest points on the system.

As already stated ideally they could all do with them on. You can also get ones that allow the radiator to be drained on its own.

thanks paul , as all the downstairs radiators are about the same distance from the floor give or take a inch or so , will I have to fit a drain off to every radiator downstairs

Sponsored Links
you will have drops to every rad downstairs so if you only fit one then it will only drain that rad & the ones upstairs leaving the other 3 rads & their pipework downstairs still full, change all the locksheild rad valves downstairs for ones with built in drain offs

I was wondering as the ground floor of my house is 16 inch above ground level, if I only fitted 1 drain off with hose attached going outside down the steps to ground level , would that 16" be enough to completely drain the system
to save me fitting drain valves to all downstairs radiators

you will have drops to every rad downstairs so if you only fit one then it will only drain that rad & the ones upstairs leaving the other 3 rads & their pipework downstairs still full, change all the locksheild rad valves downstairs for ones with built in drain offs

from this reply even as I said I can drop a drain hose 16" it looks to me that the other 3 radiators will still be full of water, so looks like I will follow
advice & fit built in drain offs to all radiators downstairs
thanks to all for your help

It depends on if your downstairs radiators have pipe drops from the ceilings or are on a downstairs curcuit.

If on single pipe drops, each rad/curcuit needs drain offs to drain that curcuit.

If on a downstairs curcuit, normally you only need one drain of at the lowest point and that doesn't need to be on or near a rad, although easier to find for future owners/plumbers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back