1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Radiator valve leak

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by lmsava, 29 May 2007.

1. lmsava

lmsava

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Need a bit of advice. I removed a radiator to do some decorating and when I was reattaching it I over-tightened one of the nuts. Now the valve is leaking. The leak is coming from the place where the valve is connected to the copper pipe. It is leaking a fair bit. My guess is that the pressure seal is broken but I'm not sure. Can I repair this easily or is it time to call the plumber in?

2. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    not a difficult piece of plumbing. It can even be done without draining down the system, usually.

Does yours have a Feed & Expansion Tank in the loft, or is the system filled with water using a filling loop at the boiler?

Does the copper pipe comeup through the floor; and is it a concrete floor?

If you can post a digital photo, that will save time.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. lmsava

lmsava

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply. I called a plumber in as on further inspection the valve wasn't the problem. Where the pipe meets the valve, the pipe had crushed so it needed replacing which involves a bit of soldering. Plumber was only £40 and took less than an hour and at least I know it's a good job.

The system was drained anyway because of the leak.

5. gas4you

gas4you

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Did you remember to add new inhibitor to the system when you filled up?

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links