radiator wont turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't seem to turn my radiator off.
I have turned both valves anti-clockwise and it still won't go off.

Sponsored Links
clockwise turns it off, and make sure the spindel is turning under the cap

I really don't wish to be rude or offensive in any way whatsoever. But, it occurs to me you must have trouble dealing with the basics of everyday life. If you stopped and thought about it for a moment, it might have occured to you that, generally speaking, if you wish to turn something off you turn it clockwise you may have noticed this odd coincidence whenever you operate a tap.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

ArtfulBodger said:
I really don't wish to be rude or offensive in any way whatsoever. But, it occurs to me you must have trouble dealing with the basics of everyday life. If you stopped and thought about it for a moment, it might have occured to you that, generally speaking, if you wish to turn something off you turn it clockwise you may have noticed this odd coincidence whenever you operate a tap.

Thank you for that and I will turn it clockwise, but if you want to move your watch/clock forward or on in time you turn it clockwise, same with the date. But thank you and I hope it works.

Sponsored Links
drillsalter said:
ArtfulBodger said:

Thank you for that and I will turn it clockwise, but if you want to move your watch/clock forward or on in time you turn it clockwise, same with the date. But thank you and I hope it works.

agreed but will it stop the water :LOL: :LOL:

Psssssst if you have thermostatic valves they have little numbers to follow, and a frost protection feature that turns them on if the temp falls below 5%C

doitall said:
drillsalter said:
ArtfulBodger said:

agreed but will it stop the water :LOL: :LOL:

Psssssst if you have thermostatic valves they have little numbers to follow, and a frost protection feature that turns them on if the temp falls below 5%C

Just my little joke - don't take offence :)

It just made me laugh that when some people post the most complex queries imaginable, completely outside of their ability to achieve given their experience, that you asked how to turn off a tap! he he - oops sorry I'm still larfing! :D

doitall said:
clockwise turns it off, and make sure the spindel is turning under the cap

Thank you for your advice. However this radiator doesn't have a thermostat and even though I have taken a spanner and turned the spindle clockwise as far as the bottom of my boot could push it to, it still won't go off. I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you!

you took the cap off and theres aspindle sticking up as normal which you have screwed down tight without breaking.

The reason for asking is some valves have an allen screw under the cap

doitall said:
you took the cap off and theres aspindle sticking up as normal which you have screwed down tight without breaking.

The reason for asking is some valves have an allen screw under the cap

The heating system in the house is very old I think it is called a 'space saver', dates back to the 70's. I think the radiators date back to the same era. Didn't break the the spindle though.

If they won't shut off then your only realistic option is to drain down, remove the radiator and replace the valves. You will probably find that you will need a hexagonal radiator universal key. The new valves will either be the same but some can be installed just using an adjustable spanner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back