Radiators behind sofas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large radiator mounted behind my sofa, unfortunately there is no wall space to move it elsewhere in the room, is there anything I can do to increase its output, ive seen the fan units that sit on top but they look **** and make a noise, is there a better fan unit that I could mount underneath the radiator to blow air up through it?

Chers

Sponsored Links
Any old fan will do it - even an old heater fan set on cold :)

Sponsored Links
I have the same situation, have mounted a low shelf over the rad to hold the sofa away from the rad a few inches and slotted the shelf to allow air flow, you could use a computer fans connected to transformer pushing air up thru rad but should not be necessary as heat provides it's own convention currents.

Thanks for your post I deffinately want to introduce some airflow of some sorts to help distribute the heat through the room, could easily fabricate a slimline unit with a few small fans in to do this, may even buy one of those ugly rad booster things and rip the insides out of that.

Hmmm, I feel an invention coming on :) There's an odd kow-towing that goes on to radiators. All they are are metal things which get heated by hot water running through them. There must be some way of being able to replace them being a fixed feature and instead replaced by movable items of furniture (for example a couple of boxes one either side of a sofa) which could be easily plumbed into the existing valves and daisy chained via appropriate temp/pressure proof hoses :idea:

Computer fans would do it and modern high-quality ones run virtually silently.

Do you have space for a smaller radiator anywhere? Or rather a pair of radiators if you have two smaller spaces?

Computer fans would do it and modern high-quality ones run virtually silently.

Do you have space for a smaller radiator anywhere? Or rather a pair of radiators if you have two smaller spaces?

The room is 4.8m x 5m, I will have room for a small rad but im limited for space as one wall is glass, the other wall will have a huge TV so rad will look **** below that, half of one wall is open into dining room (2 large rads in there) and the other wall will be seating area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back