Radiators - Central heating...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some new radiators installed a few months ago, central heating (Not economy 7) overhaul etc. I have noticed over the past few weeks that the 2 radiators in the bedrooms (one in each) are not very warm, the pipes feel warmish and lower half of radiators but the rest feels cold.

I have opened the valves, no air came out, just some water. Any ideas what could be causing this please?

Sponsored Links
System balanced ok? Try turning working rads off, do these cold rads then get hot? Balancing instructions in FAQ's.

System balanced ok? Try turning working rads off, do these cold rads then get hot? Balancing instructions in FAQ's.

Thanks for your reply. I have read the FAQ's: Move the thermometers to the next radiator away from the boiler. Thermometers? Well I know what a Thermometer is but, are there special ones for radiators?

You can get clip on pipe thermometers, available from hire shops etc, but usually possible to do it by feel. The rads dont have to be exact to the degree, if you close them all down, then start opening the lockshield valves half a turn at a time until all rads get heat and feel pretty even then you should have cracked it. ;)

Sponsored Links
You can get clip on pipe thermometers, available from hire shops etc, but usually possible to do it by feel. The rads dont have to be exact to the degree, if you close them all down, then start opening the lockshield valves half a turn at a time until all rads get heat and feel pretty even then you should have cracked it. ;)

Ak ok, well I have closed all the downstairs radiators, well turned them to 0, also turned thermostat up to 25 ish, put the bedrooms on full, have just been up there and the pipe is pretty hot also bottom half (1/4 way up) pretty hot also. It just doesn't seem to be reaching to top. The lockshield are these the valves on the opposite side to the numbered valves?

Sorry but I've not done much plumbing :)

Thanks again

Yes, the upstairs radiators do feel warmer since turning all the other ones off :)

Had a little Google, and have turned the valves (1/2 turn) anti-clockwise, opened up all the radiators and so far so good :)

Yes, lockshields should be set by the installer when balancing the system once installed and commissioned. Once set they shouldn't need to be touched, but if additional rads have been added the the system should have been rebalanced.

Water will take the path of least resistance, so those rads nearest the start of the system will receive the lions share of the flow unless throttled back with the lockshield valves to force the water to the furthest points of the system.

However, if it's now working, dont fix it! :LOL: May need fine tuning, but see how you get on. It's basically a case of opening/closing valves to ensure all rads get their fair share of water.

Yes, lockshields should be set by the installer when balancing the system once installed and commissioned. Once set they shouldn't need to be touched, but if additional rads have been added the the system should have been rebalanced.

Water will take the path of least resistance, so those rads nearest the start of the system will receive the lions share of the flow unless throttled back with the lockshield valves to force the water to the furthest points of the system.

However, if it's now working, dont fix it! :LOL: May need fine tuning, but see how you get on. It's basically a case of opening/closing valves to ensure all rads get their fair share of water.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated - I feel that I've had quite a productive day in a DIY way :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back