Radiators cold upstairs hot downstairs!!! Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the topic title. The radiators upstairs are cold apart from 2 of them which are only lukewarm. Downstairs is fine and are nice and hot. Little background info, the boiler was changed a few years ago to a worcester combi. Since then these problems have existed.

The radiators upstairs are on microbore pipe work and 15mm pipes downstairs. There also valves on the work between upstairs and downstairs. I have also had the TRV changed upstairs but this made no difference! Have also tried numerous times to balance the damn thing but no luck.

Then other crazy thing is that lockshield valves on the two that do warm up are really hot!

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Close the downstairs trv's. Do the ones upstairs get hot now ?

Close the downstairs trv's. Do the ones upstairs get hot now ?

Tried this no joy. :(

Don't know if it worth noting but upstairs the lockshield valve is hotter than the TRV valve! Are they the wrong way round?

Check the arrows on the trv's, if there's two arrows pointing in two different directions they are bi-directional and they should be ok.

Sponsored Links
Apply x800 to heating system and leave on heating for 4 hrs then turn off the hot radiators and leave for 2 more hours. This should get things moving, once all rads are working, drain down and flush then refill with new inhibitor.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Will get some and try

Stupid question! How do I put this into the system as it is a sealed system.

Excellent. That makes it a lot easier. Will give it a go this weekend. Thanks

Update!! I have out some x800 in the upstairs rads on Saturday just gone and have run the heating for a number of hours each day since. Still no joy :(

The lockshield upstairs are really hot but the TRV are not! Are these the wrong way round on my rads?

Was a Magnaclean installed at the same time? This happened to us and it turned out the Magnaclean had been incorrectly installed and the hot water was bypassing most of the radiators! We had it looked at and it works fine now.

Could it be the lockshield is closed hence the heat stopping there or is the trv fitted to the wrong side. Id asume flow in is trv and at the out its the lock shield. Or am I mixed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back