radiators constantly hot and cylinder not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone help. I have an hercal coil indirect cylinder that is approx 9 years old. There are two pipes on the side, from what i have read the top pipe is meant to be hot and the bottom one cold. They are both hot is this meant to be? There is also a problem with the radiators they are constantly hot when the thermostat is off and on heating only. The last problem is that the over flow pipe is constantly dripping.

is this something that i can sort out with a bit of guidance or do i have to call a man in lol

cheers

Sponsored Links
sorry i meant to say that the radiators are constantly hot even though the thermostat is on water only not heating only...

majickfaeri said:
I have an hercal coil indirect cylinder that is approx 9 years old. There are two pipes on the side, from what i have read the top pipe is meant to be hot and the bottom one cold.
Incorrect. What the f*** have you been reading?

They are both hot is this meant to be?
Yes. One will be marginally less skin-liftingly hot than the other.

There is also a problem with the radiators they are constantly hot when the thermostat is off and on heating only.
Assuming that you mean 'on hot water only', then you might have a motorised valve that's not fully closing.

The last problem is that the over flow pipe is constantly dripping.
Depending on which cistern is overflowing, and which cistern is higher than the other, the fix could range from very cheap to very expensive.

is this something that i can sort out with a bit of guidance
You can do it, but you need a crash course in heating and plumbing.

Separate the problems out and deal with each one as a project you can undertake. Search the forum for similar problems and learn from the posts that have been made. Read the Wiki for some background knowledge and terminology. Then come back here when you've got your spanners out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back