---- radiators going cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had a brand new central heating system installed on 26th Sep, with a ferrolli combi boiler.It was a fresh system as i hadn't got any heating in there previous and is only a 2bed house with 5 Rads. It cost £2200 in total, but on the 2nd day of using our system, we noticed that our living room rad had gone cold after an hour of use, i rang the fitter who came out and tried bleeding and balancing etc.... Yet it still goes cold,at the bottom and works its way up. After having them back about 15times to this problem, we finally got it to work without the trv on, they are drayton(make) i think. and wen the pin underneath was pressed it came back on.. They changed the valve as they thought it was that, but still goes off after approx 1hour whenever the trvs are on. I now have no trvs on any rads as its the only way i can get them all to work and keep hot..

They have been out again today and said that because we are having the boiler at max temp, 90deg, the trvs are cutting off as they trvs will only let the rad go to a certain heat . IS THIS RIGHT ???? i dont know anyone else that has had this problem, and their rads are always hot and stay hot....

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Sponsored Links
NO, u feel the temp drop, thats how we noticed, because we went cooler than we were.

If there are no trvs on, they work fine, for however long you have them on, but if the trv's are on, they go cold. It was only happening with living room 1 which is the main problem as its open plan living room, but the other 4 went off last week so we have had to keep the trvs off till plumber decided to come back again today

Sponsored Links
They did not fit 1.... Its only a tiny house.
They said they will come next week and fit one and see if that works.

They said that because im having the boiler at max temp, which i need otherwise its cold, then the trvs are making the pins stick and will only let rads get to a certain heat.

I dont know anyone elses rads that do this, and they have theirs on max temp.

Are they feeding me a load of crap??

Its starting to get on my nerves now,becuse it was only fitted end sep this year and hasnt worked properly yet.

I dont want to have to turn the boiler down as it will get too cold in there for me then.

What do you think it is??

IF they say that the problem is caused by having the boiler stat set too hot, what happens when you turn it down?

you say you are cold already.

It might be useful to see if there is any truth in what they say.

thats why i posted the 1st topic to start with, so that maybe...hopefully ....someone would be able to shed some light and let me know if they are telling the truth or if its a load of rubbish

the trv should of only been shutting when room has reached the temp that the trv is set at and when temp of room drops the trv will reopen

yeah , thats what they told me..... but i dont know anyone elses rads that do that. Is there any trv that can go higher?

As when it shuts off, the room drops and goes chilly but the rad dosent come back on.

Should they engineers have fitted a bigger rad to keep the room hot if this is the case??

It just struck me that if you insist on turning your boiler up to max, it might be overheating and shutting off.

But I gather you refuse to try turning it down.

I am just a householder.

they might have their trv's fully open on number 6 say so the room stat is cutting out first.

you may have undersized rads or need another one if the room is open plan.
but if the trv senses a room temp drop it should still open

god i am confused ,because it does not open again unless u push the pin on the valve down. but if you keep the trvs off, they stay on.

The trvs are on 6 and the boiler is on its max too. they are the only temp things i have.

Do you think if i put another rad in and lowered my boiler temp, it will stay hot?

They are coming out next week to fit a room stat, free of charge as the system is only 3weeks old and has never been right. I will ask them to fit another rad too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back