Radiators Hot but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently bought a house with an old gas central heating system. The radiators and the hot water were all working fine. I made a few changes, removed a radiator from the kitchen and moved a radiator from one wall to another in one of the bedrooms. I also power flushed the system. When I came to fill the system back up, there appeared to be an airlock in the central heating, so I took a hose connected to the rising main in the Kitchen and flushed from the central heating tank in the loft. This seemed to get things started and all the radiators came back to life. However the hot water doesn't seem to heat any more. There is a diverter valve, not sure if this is working and the pump seems to work fine.

Could someone help me troubleshoot this one please.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gasman1015,

Do you know how I can clear this one? I can't seem to find an 'easy' end of the system to try and flush.

Where the top of the coil comes out of the tank, there's a T connector with the top end going nowhere and the pipe going down to the floor. As far as I can tell, this seems to be the highest point in the hot water circuit/coil section.

Would it make sense to switch the hot water pump on and then while it's circulating, loosen this nut to let the air out?

Thanks Gasman1015,

Do you know how I can clear this one? I can't seem to find an 'easy' end of the system to try and flush.

Where the top of the coil comes out of the tank, there's a T connector with the top end going nowhere and the pipe going down to the floor. As far as I can tell, this seems to be the highest point in the hot water circuit/coil section.

Would it make sense to switch the hot water pump on and then while it's circulating, loosen this nut to let the air out?

That is indeed your bleed screw/nut mate loosen it let the air out and your heating coil should fill and give you HW back. Id leave the pump off while you do it mate. Long as you get that coil filled and circulating again any traces of air should find there way to radiators. Just re-bleed everywhere in a week, starting lowest point first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks raychmike and Gasman1015.

My airing cupboard had some chipboard covering the top of the nut. Cut it out of the way and could see the radiator bleed valve thing there. Looks like it's starting to warm up now. Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back