radiators hot but not on - valve problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
From what i've read on here, the problem I have is that the motorised valve which controls where the hot water goes (tank or rads) is broken.

While I try and sort out if I can fix it myself :eek:

Can i turn off the boiler completely, and use the immersion heater? Will the hot water still 'leak' into the rads?

Thanks
Ste

Sponsored Links
Can i turn off the boiler completely, and use the immersion heater? Will the hot water still 'leak' into the rads?

yes you can use immersion without it heating the rads etc.

as for the valve more likely the rubber ball is knackered in the valve or crud in the port causing it to pass into the rads.

Yes, if its a 3 port valve, sounds like it's passing and needs repair or replacement.

To confirm - with the whole system off and cold, turn the hw on. Feel the pipe that leads from the valve (port 'A') to the rads. If it's getting hot, then the valve is passing.

Ok to use just the immersion until you can fix it. Won't heat the rads.

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks for all the responses :) . Will check for sure when I get home, but good to know I can use the immersion heater in the meantime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back