Radiators in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking to eventually put a radiator or two in the loft.

However, the header tank is in there - do I need to raise the header tank to ensure it remains above the radiators ? are there any other considerations ? ie more powerful pump etc etc

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Depending on what boiler you have you might be able to convert your system to a pressurised sealed system.

Depending on what boiler you have you might be able to convert your system to a pressurised sealed system.

Yes it can but most of the pipework is donkeys years old which may not take the added pressure. We also may need a new hot water cylinder if the coil wont take the pressure. Therefore, can I just raise the header tank ?

Sponsored Links
[If you can get iQUOTE="wwwebber, post: 4140268, member: 8993"]Yes it can but most of the pipework is donkeys years old which may not take the added pressure. We also may need a new hot water cylinder if the coil wont take the pressure. Therefore, can I just raise the header tank ?[/QUOTE]
Yes if you can get it high enough with your system pumping over the open vent or pulling air in, you will need to provide some space above it to allow any maintenance, typically pressurised system operate at around 1 bar pressure which is around 33 feet of head pressure, a typical domestic circulating pump produces over half of that.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back