Radiators left outside, are they OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been refurbishing our house. We removed the radiators in good weather, fully intending to do the decorating, clean them up, then put them back on. However, time has beaten us and the rads have been out in the elements for 3 months (oops!).

Just wondering if they might still be usable - what could go wrong? They must have been 10 years old when we bought the house earlier this year so look a bit tatty. Nothing a bit of sanding and repainting won't sort. My concern is that the insides may be tarnished. Maybe I should clean them and use some kind of product to flush them through and reprotect.

Otherwise, I need to find a supplier of long radiators (2400mm) or extend the pipes enough so I can get away with shorter and cheaper ones. It's not like the house needs massive radiators, because it's always hot indoors with just a couple of rads on.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to use them but ensure a cold flush the system throughly before they are put into use.

Best also to use a cleaning agent like Sentinel X800 as well.

Also depends to a great extent on the type of boiler but you did not us that!

Tony

You should be able to use them but ensure a cold flush the system throughly before they are put into use.

Best also to use a cleaning agent like Sentinel X800 as well.

Also depends to a great extent on the type of boiler but you did not us that!

Tony

Thanks.

I didn't know that the type of boiler would be important :oops: I'm not entirely sure what is meant by "boiler type". All I know is that it is gas powered, and it heats up water for the central heating system and for the hot water system.

I'll give them a thorough flush and use some X800 or similar. I don't believe the system has been serviced lately so should I add some rust inhibitor at the same time?

I think I'll get the rads back on then get a heating engineer to do the rest - our hot water pump has packed up too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back