RADIATORS NOT HEATING UP DOWNSTAIRS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
RADIATORS NOT HEATING UP DOWNSTAIRS well 1 is the other 5 are not or just warm, i have bleeded the radiators all of them with at least 1 ltr out of each one thinking there might be air trapped somewhere but no air came out.

the gas seems to fire up and heat the water but does not flow to the downstairs radiators.

any suggestions please

i think i have a multihead 2 pump, a telford hot water boiler grade 3 with a honeywell thermostat and 2 other honeywell silver box things with manual and auto on them

thanks inadvance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Has this happened all of a sudden or after work you have had done? You hear the pump working but have you checked that the propeller? As for the two silver things these are 2- port valves.

If once you've checked the pump is working fine go check on the 2-port thats controlling your central heating (the one not on the pipework to the cylinder). Turn your heating on and feel the pipework across the valve - compare it to the temp of the pipework across the other valve (if you have the water on aswell). Give it awhile and if you notice it's not getting that hot across the pipework try pushing the small arm on the silver box head across. If it improves then it's a faulty 2-port. Hope that helps.

Has this happened all of a sudden or after work you have had done? You hear the pump working but have you checked that the propeller? As for the two silver things these are 2- port valves.

If once you've checked the pump is working fine go check on the 2-port thats controlling your central heating (the one not on the pipework to the cylinder). Turn your heating on and feel the pipework across the valve - compare it to the temp of the pipework across the other valve (if you have the water on aswell). Give it awhile and if you notice it's not getting that hot across the pipework try pushing the small arm on the silver box head across. If it improves then it's a faulty 2-port. Hope that helps.

1 of the port valves i think might be broken as when you pull back the lever on it then it just stays there where the other one goes back into position and there is no tension on the lever its just loose?

i have just moved to the house so i have no history about the heating.

The valve that has a loose lever is open.. ie working. The one that has resistance is closed. This maybe because it has a faulty motor or may be because it has not been told to open ie is the programmer on..is the thermostat calling for heat (room or cylinder depending on which valve).

If it's the heating valve and it is faulty why would this cause your symptoms? if it doesn't open the boiler shouldn't switch on niether should the pump (as the valve activates them both) and no heat should reach the upstairs rads as the circulation is cut off....

9 out 10 times if someone tells me they have a little heat upstairs and none down it's the circ' pump... but as you can feel it running thats odd too.

I hate to say it on a DIY forum but maybe you'd be better off to call someone in, these kind of things are usually very easy for an expert to sort out once they're on site ... and not always so easy through a keyboard.

The valve that has a loose lever is open.. ie working. The one that has resistance is closed. This maybe because it has a faulty motor or may be because it has not been told to open ie is the programmer on..is the thermostat calling for heat (room or cylinder depending on which valve).

If it's the heating valve and it is faulty why would this cause your symptoms? if it doesn't open the boiler shouldn't switch on niether should the pump (as the valve activates them both) and no heat should reach the upstairs rads as the circulation is cut off....

9 out 10 times if someone tells me they have a little heat upstairs and none down it's the circ' pump... but as you can feel it running thats odd too.

I hate to say it on a DIY forum but maybe you'd be better off to call someone in, these kind of things are usually very easy for an expert to sort out once they're on site ... and not always so easy through a keyboard.

well the downstairs work now but i have to turn them off up stairs otherwise the ones downstairs take ages to heat or some don't get hot at all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back