Radiators working but no hot water.

It is called a manual bleed valve and it is on your central heating system not your HW system, draining the tank wont make any difference, you will have to isolate the feed to the F&E tank a small tank and then partially drain you should have a drain point for the CH somewhere

Sponsored Links
Again thanks, yes I got a bit confused.

The manual bleed valve I see is available from Screwfix. Looks like it has to be soldered on though, is that right?

Many thanks, that is the one I looked at. Chance the plumber may come friday or saturday morning, failing that I'll give it a go.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Try opening the existing one again and let it run for 30 seconds or so to let any crap out, then close it properly and not with pliers, right tool for the job not pliers, you wont damage it by tightening it properly, it is designed to be opened and closed that is what it does

Thanks Ian - I'm probably more relaxed about using more force as we can partially drain central heating system (as above) if something shears..

What would be the right tool? I have a couple of pipe wrenches which would give me a lot more leverage than pliers.

Thanks to everyone - more leverage on the cap didn't stop the leak, rubber seal possibly chewed up. Plumber coming tomorrow so case closed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back