radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bled my system, re-filled to 1 psi and bled the radiators. Here is the problem...the rads downstairs bled fine yet get only luke warm but the ones upstairs are dry. I can not seem to get any liquid no matter how long I open them for. I shifted the heat to high and the pipes in the basement are banging something fierce. Air in the system? Please help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm not surprised you have a problem if you have a pressure of 1 psi. Is this what you mean? Is yours combi boiler? If so, reduce the system pressure to zero, and then check the air pressure in the expansion vessel. The pressure should equal the static pressure of the highest point of the system so that air can be pushed out.

Turn OFF the boiler, top the pressure up to 1 bar and bleed the radiators starting at the lowest in the building. Check and top up as the pressure drops on your pressure gauge continue until all rads are full then check pressure is 1 bar and turn on.

Sorry, what would combi-boiler imply? I'm rather new to this home owner frustration, but i will try what you say.

Sponsored Links
I have tried both methods to no avail. I could not find an expansion vassal. Now, however, all my radiators are empty, with no pressure or steam, and the boiler shuts off after only heating up the basement pipes. On the plus side, the pipes do not bang anymore. By the way, how long does the average rad take to bleed?

Do I detect you have steam heating?

If you have, I can't help as I assumed you had hot water heating. This would apply to almost everybody else in the UK. You need steam help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back