Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

i'm a first time home owner and i'm trying to do my flat up.

i'm about to get new radiators fitted (standard white double convectors). my local supplier sells a brand called heatline. my plumber says these are fine but his initial recommendation was a make called stelrad. the stelrad are more expensive and, according to the figures in the brochures, the output seems lower (to my untrained eye).

can anyone advise as to whether there is a difference in quality/finish between the brands?

and also solve the question of the apparently different outputs - on one of the rads (1600x600) the heatline output is stated at approx 12500 btu and the sterad is stated as around 9500. is this true, can a cheaper product have nearly 30% greater output? and if so what is the downside?

as you can probably tell my knowledge on these matters is limited. all advice recommendations gratefully received.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most main makes of radiator are good these days. Stelrad and Myson tend to have the market in the major supply chains. Stelrad offer a 10 yr warranty on some of their ranges ie 'compact' & elite. Myson offer 5 yr. I suspect you are not looking at same size rads when it comes to out put. Check that the stelrad is a K2 and not a P+. K2 is double convector with fins attached to both panels, whilst P+ looks like double but only has fins attached to 1 panel. They may be standard height and lengths but not in output power. The K2 will stand off wall further than P+

Check that you are comapring like for like on the heat outputs. Different manufacturers may quote their radiator outputs for different heating water temperatures, usually given as Delta T, DT or the greek letter [Delta] T.

That is the difference between the air (room) temperature and the water (central heating boiler) temperature. Naturally, the output from a radiator running at 70 degrees C will be higher than the same radiator running at 50 degrees C.

Most rads today are quoted @ 50C water temp to help condensing boilers condense more by having a lower return temp.

Sponsored Links
thanks both

i checked the output figures and the heatline was quoted at delta T 60c whereas the stelrad was at 50c. looking at both at 50c they're pretty much the same in terms of output

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back