Radiotor not recommended in Conservatories?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to install a radiator in a conservatory for a friend. He has bought the radiator and its currently sotred in the conservatory. However he says that he recently had a leak in the conservatory and when the installer came round to have a look, noticed the radiator and asked if they would be installing that in the conservatory. He said he did not recommend it as the heat would cause the PVC to expand and cause leaks, saying he would not be responsible for any leaks.

Is he correct in saying a rad should not be installed? If so, what other heating options are available for a conservatory as in the winter its freezing in their!!

Sponsored Links
No difference to a hot summer day when it's like an oven and that's hotter than the radiator!

I have a cast iron stove in my conservatory and it's like an oven most day/evening and so far no problem

Depends how desparate you are to heat the sky. :idea: Then get your M8 to hide the rad somewhere else until the "installer" has sorted all the leaks . Sneak in and fit the rad ...You`ve got all the year to Autumn. ;)

Depends how desparate you are to heat the sky. :idea: Then get your M8 to hide the rad somewhere else until the "installer" has sorted all the leaks . Sneak in and fit the rad ...You`ve got all the year to Autumn. ;)

lol well i dont really know what your trying to say but you definately have the humour of someone in the trades! lol

Sponsored Links
:LOL: nah many of my customers ask for rads when i build conservatories
and underfloor heating , i ent never gone back for leaks

lol well i dont really know what your trying to say but you definately have the humour of someone in the trades! lol
Glad you appreciate it ...Most people have me on ignore :LOL: :LOL: ...Conservatory with rad is in my opinion -silly - ie. you`re heating the sky. ;) The installer of the conservatory is using the rad`s presence to avoid fixing the leaks in the conservatory :idea: Sharp? my middle name is Stanley:cool:

We got told not to put a rad in the conservatory, because it will force the boiler to work much harder.

Think about it - your heating goes off overnight for, say, 8 hours. During the 8 hours, your house might drop 4 degrees. Your conservatory (assuming it is to building regs and has a sealed door) will have dropped about 15 degrees on a winters night.

Now, your boiler comes on. Its going to take it longer to bring your house up to temp, because its got the conservatory slowing the whole process down.

IMO its better to heat a conservatory using an independant, energy efficient method, such as a heat pump, which can be up to 400% efficient. A simple air conditioner will do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back