Rads cold on bottom, hot on top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are a few posts similar to mine but I still haven't reached a successful conclusion. I have 2 rads that are furthest away from the boiler that are hot on top and cold on the bottom. The lockshield valves are open to the max. When I bleed the rads, hot water comes out. I'm using oil and I don't know much more after that! Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Also the hot tap in the bath is only treacling at the moment, which does indicate an airlock somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Turn off all other rads and see if they get hot then, if they do the system probably needs balancing (Restricting the flow at the radiators closer to the boiler using the lockshield valve so that all radiators get a fair share of the hot water from the boiler)

If that fails and they still don't get hot, it may indicate they have sludge in them. (Sludge can build up in the bottom of radiators if there is not corrosion inhibitor added to the system) Switch off each radiator at the valves at both ends, drain the radiator and take it outside and flush it with a hose pipe, if there's a lot of black sludge that comes out that's most likely the problem.

Thanks stem. Actually I think the water might have been on the black side when I first bled the rads. I also have a back boiler so that might contribute to sludge. I'll turn them all off tonight and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back