Rads do not get hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you can help.

I've had a problem where my radiators take a long time to warm. I've been checking through this forum - very useful - and have tried some solutions suggested to those who have had similar problems.

The problem is that my radiators take a long time to warm (4 hours) and never gets hot. I've got a 17 year old conventional boiler (Myson Appolo) with hot water cylinder. I can chose between hot water, heating or both. When on hot water only, the water heats fantastically and very quickly. However, when on central heating the rads take a long time to heat. When on both, the water will only get as hot as the rads.

Here's what I've done so far over the past two months:
1. Bled all of the rads.
2. Cleaned the system twice with sludge remover, leaving it in for around four weeks at a time. The output contained slightly amber water with black deposits.
3. Installed a new pump in case the old one had deteriorated over time.
4. Took the rads off and flushed them.
5. Flushed the pipes by taking off one of the downstairs rads and attaching a hose to the inflow and outflow. Just used mains pressure but water seemed to go through the system well.
6. Checked the diverter valve by following the passage of heat through the pipes - seems fine.
7. Checked the zone thermostat and is fine.
8. I checked the lockshield valves downstairs - they were all fully open.

The pipe work to the rads is 10mm and is further reduced due to bends before connection to the rads.

Any help would much appreciated.

'tis not the season to be freezin!

[/list][/list]

Sponsored Links
Well my first idea is that your system bypass valve is fully open.

In case you dont know the by-pass basically a short circuit pipe between your flow and return with a gatevalve or a specifically made by-pass valve [without a red wheel] on it

Close it completely then open it about a turn. If the boiler starts banging open it a little more. The correct way to set it up is to use thermostats on the flow and return

Its purpose is to ensure that the return temperature is about 12ºC lower than the flow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back