Outflow ch pipe hot but rads not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some help as I've been trying to fix this problem for some time. I have a Baxi combi duo tec boiler, hot water is working fine but my rads are stone cold. I have done my best to check the diverter and pump and believe they are working fine. The thermostat is clearly calling for hot water to ch system when it should be, but for some reason not getting to the rads. Only the first 6 inches or so of the outflow central heating pipe from the bottom of the boiler are hot and then it gets cold. I have tried bleeding the rads but i'm fairly sure it's not a pressure issue. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Diverter valve stuck in dhw mode is first port of call. What makes you think its OK ? Have you also established that the pump is spinning ?

Yeh ive checked the pump is spinning. I've had the cover off the diverter and tried to manually override it. I'm not familiar with what should happen when i depress it, the boiler reacts. The automatic part of the diverter is also going up and down when switching between hw and ch. Would the outflow pipe be hot at all if there was a problem with the diverter?

I've also changed the batts on the thermostat, checked the pressure guage. I just get a constant flashing "radiator" symbol on the display screen, but no hot water. Literally just been serviced but must not have checked the rads.

Sponsored Links
The pimp is a red herring as hot water is working, where you took the diverter motor off there is a pin, push the pin down whilst a demand for heating and see if it then fires and sends heat to your heating

The pimp is a red herring as hot water is working, where you took the diverter motor off there is a pin, push the pin down whilst a demand for heating and see if it then fires and sends heat to your heating
Thanks Terry, yes I've tried that. When i push the pin down, it requires a little bit of force and when i take the force away, it returns into the up position. However with the motor back on, it seems to stay in the down position automatically. Neither gives the rads heat unfortunately.

Turn off the lever valve underneath the boiler on the cold main then try heating again

Post a pic of the isolation valves underneath your boiler, if it’s recently been serviced he may have isolated the boiler to check the expansion vessel

Could also be that the plastic lever had moved but not the brass section underneath

Post a pic of the isolation valves underneath your boiler, if it’s recently been serviced he may have isolated the boiler to check the expansion vessel
Can you see the picture? I've uploaded it as a file, assuming that's the only way...

Still no image

The levers should be facing towards you, unscrew the plastic handles and look to see if the valve underneath is correct

Or call back the guy that serviced it

Still no image

The levers should be facing towards you, unscrew the plastic handles and look to see if the valve underneath is correct

Or call back the guy that serviced it
I thought I had posted the image, i can see it in the thread. If you click my name, then my albums you can see it. Really appreciate your help. I just don't understand why only the first part of the flow pipe is hot, is that not unusual?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back