Rads getting hot when they shouldn't

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hopefully someone out there can help, basically now the summers here !! I have switched the programmer (LANDIS & GYR RWB200) to HW only in the morning and late evening. The room stat (Brtish Gas RS1) is turned down to minimum (10). However the rads are heating up.

I have read a couple of posts and suspect there is a problem with the Sunvic SD2701 motorised valve.

Please help ta

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
one will come from the pump to mot valve.
other from valve to cylinder.
other from valve to rads.

feel the rad one as far along the pipe as you can.

just done that all three pipes are getting hot - and the motorised valve is making a clicking noise (heard a wiring noise at first) I guess the valve is shot?

sounds like the motor is trying to open the valve etc.
but it shouldn't be getting power from the wall stat if its off at programmer and wall stat turned down.

can you remove the lid and check it.

yes just don't stick ya fingers in their.
you should be able to isolate the system from a fused spur etc without isolating the whole house.
you want it live see whats going on.
if ya gonna poke use an elecy screwdriver etc.

yes just don't stick ya fingers in their.
you should be able to isolate the system from a fused spur etc without isolating the whole house.
you want it live see whats going on.
if ya gonna poke use an elecy screwdriver etc.

your a star - gonna give a go tomorrow (once I've got electrical screwdriver!!)

I'll let you know how I get on - what would I be looking for?

Cheers

see whats going on, sounds stuck or something.

the motor should only work if the ch is on at programmer and wall stat is calling for heat the motor winds across the valve.

handy if you have a multi meter to.

Hi, I have had another look at the valve - I have taken it off the pipe to have a look at the back I can see that there is a D shaped spigot ? that moves the valve on the pipework any way when I move the timer to HW only the motor moves the spigot through 90 degrees which I presume gives hot water and no heating, however it then moves back by 45 degrees and starts clicking.

When I manualy move the valve on the pipework the hot water is okay and the rads stay cold.

I am assuming that the motorised valve is knackered? can I take it apart and have a look

I hope that all makes sense![/img]

yes take the lid off and have a look.

when you put the hw on the valve will fall to hw only by a spring not the motor.
hw only is its relaxed position where it would say if you removed all power from the valve.

the motor will only come in to play if you want hw/heating or heating only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back