Rafter strengthening for Velux roof window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm going to install a couple of velux windows (1400 x 780) in my loft. I know I need to strengthen the rafters either side. Ideally a one piece rafter double needs to run the complete length of the original rafter, but due to the purlins being in the way this is going to be awkward. Is it ok to to use 2 or 3 sections to double up, and then add a third strengthener at the doubler joints, so in effect trippling up?

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
The purlin actually supports the rafter, so if you continue the doubler say 600mm past the purlin it should be fine.

Thanks for the reply PaulJR. The window just fits in between the 2 purlins, so what you suggest doing sounds fine.
Cheers

Just to add, do the double on the head and bottom known as trimmer

Sponsored Links
Just to add, do the double on the head and bottom known as trimmer

Cheers masona, I was going to do that. Is it ok to screw through the rafters into the end of the trimmers or is it best to attach the trimmers using metal brackets?

Cheers

Is it ok to screw through the rafters into the end of the trimmers
Yes, that's fine, also screw it together when fitted

Thanks masona, just one more quick question. Basically I've put a floor in my loft for storage that is to building regs (copying next door), but I'm not converting my loft at present as I need a dormer for the stairs. I've got hold of a cheap Velux (fire escape) so I'm going to fit it to back of house to building regs (hense doubler question).
It seems a hassle to involve building inspector for what is just a window. I asume the worst they could do if they see it is give me is a ticking off and make me apply retrospectively? I know for full conversion I would have to involve them.

Cheers

Thanks masona, just one more quick question. Basically I've put a floor in my loft for storage that is to building regs (copying next door),
The problem is the building inspector will need to see the joists etc.
I've got hold of a cheap Velux (fire escape) so I'm going to fit it to back of house to building regs
You'll have to check with BCO as the velux escape window is usually on the front elevation.
It seems a hassle to involve building inspector for what is just a window.
But it's for your safely.
I asume the worst they could do if they see it is give me is a ticking off and make me apply retrospectively?
All depends, they could make you undo the work which is more headache.
I know for full conversion I would have to involve them.
It would be cheaper and less hassle in the long run.

Thanks masona, just one more quick question. Basically I've put a floor in my loft for storage that is to building regs (copying next door),
The problem is the building inspector will need to see the joists etc.
I've got hold of a cheap Velux (fire escape) so I'm going to fit it to back of house to building regs
You'll have to check with BCO as the velux escape window is usually on the front elevation.
It seems a hassle to involve building inspector for what is just a window.
But it's for your safely.
I asume the worst they could do if they see it is give me is a ticking off and make me apply retrospectively?
All depends, they could make you undo the work which is more headache.
I know for full conversion I would have to involve them.
It would be cheaper and less hassle in the long run.

The escape window will have to go at the back due to style of house, which is the same as next doors who have had theirs signed off by BCO. I know the BCO will have to see the joists etc, so when/if I do screw the floor down I will bare this in mind. I can't complete the floor due to where the stairs go anyway.
I'm not trying to do it without BCO approval, its just at the moment it's just for storage so I didn't want to pay so he could say 'yep windows are fine' and then pay again in a few years if I fully convert!

One thing I have against full conversion at present is fire doors throughout the house, which would mean replacing my character doors with boring white ones or expensive oak ones - I'm not against fire prevention but it seems daft to insist on fire doors when they can be left open if you want! Personelly I feel that an interlinked mains operated alarm system with a means of escape out onto the roof is sufficient, although I'm sure there are many that would dissagree.

The escape window will have to go at the back due to style of house, which is the same as next doors who have had theirs signed off by BCO.
Okay, can the fireman get round the back, if not, maybe buy a fire escape rope ladder or better still have one anyway.
One thing I have against full conversion at present is fire doors throughout the house, which would mean replacing my character doors with boring white ones or expensive oak ones
They are getting better all the time and many more difference fire doors out there but don't know the cost of these doors
stp-fire-doors1.jpg

A means of escape is no longer required in the roof of a loft conversion.

Check with your BCO with regards to fire doors here in Oxford BC are happy if interconnected, mains with battery back up, smoke alarms are fitted to ALL habitable rooms(and bathrooms if they contain boilers) and all stairways, landings and hallways.
If you are intending to at some point carry out a loft conversion then submit a building notice now get it inspected and then just leave it dormant on record, there is no time limit to getting it signed off and you can bet your bottom dollar that the fee will go up in the future.

Check with your BCO with regards to fire doors here in Oxford BC are happy if interconnected, mains with battery back up, smoke alarms are fitted to ALL habitable rooms(and bathrooms if they contain boilers) and all stairways, landings and hallways.
If you are intending to at some point carry out a loft conversion then submit a building notice now get it inspected and then just leave it dormant on record, there is no time limit to getting it signed off and you can bet your bottom dollar that the fee will go up in the future.

Chappers, I think interlinked alarms are far safer than fire doors, I'd rather know there was a fire than not know about a fire behind a nice FD30 door.
Good idea about getting it submitted, although I will have to apply for planning permission for dormer, but still better to do it now than pay more and have to wait in a few years time - by then you'll probably need BC approval to paint the bleeding walls! On that point isn't it funny that you have all these strict BR's, and yet they're still building crap houses compared to the 1930's one I live in!

cheers

I'm surprised, BCO made me put a fire escape velux window because of my spiral stairs is in my lounge, if a fire start in my lounge, I then can get out of the escape window. Having said this, this was in 1990's, have the rules changed since then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back