Doubling up rafters for window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on installing a couple of roof windows in my loft, since I'm cutting 2 rafters I'll need to double up the side ones, however there's a couple of purlins that prevent me from getting full length rafters in. How would one go about doubling these up? The only way I can think of is to nail it in 3 parts, then nail in another 2 parts across the joints. Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
I think I'm right in saying that you only need to double up between the purlins.
Hopefully, someone with more experience will confirm.

You might be better off in the Building or Roofing forums.

I would imagine that doubling up between the purlins would increase the load on the purlins, ideally I'd double up the entire length so the load is transferred to the wall plate and ridge. Saying that I'd be suprised if it would be a problem (the purlins are a reasonable size at 3" x 7" for a 4.5m span). Unless anyone has any other ideas I'll just fit 3x + 2x timbers like I first suggested, should be plenty strong enough, although not particularly efficient use of timber!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back