Doubling up rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted this in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' but this is probably a more suitable forum....

I'm planning on installing a couple of roof windows in my loft, since I'm cutting 2 rafters I'll need to double up the side ones, however there's a couple of purlins that prevent me from getting full length rafters in. How would one go about doubling these up? The only way I can think of is to nail it in 3 parts, then nail in another 2 parts across the joints. Any other ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have fitted lots of velux and have only doubled the rafters by the side of the window unless I was doing the whole roof and if you put your trimmers in first you can nail through the side of the single rafter with 4"or 5" nails for a good fix

You only need to double the rafter sections between the purlins, not the whole rafter length

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back