Rafter ties/ceiling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If my dormer roof was a 45 degree pitch, instead of adding rafter ties sitting directly on the wall plate, can I add these ties 1/3 of the way up? Trying to maximise ceiling height.

Dormer will be 3600mm wide, 45 degree pitch and have a ridge beam (as opposed to board). Total height of pitched roof 1800mm.

Sponsored Links
Not to question your knowledge, but on my reading, I thought collar ties were in the upper third of the roof and didn’t offer much in the way of preventing spread.

My thought was that ceiling ties were up to the lower third of the roof and still acted to prevent spread. I was wondering if my assumption was correct to avoid a pancake plop of my roof.

Note that all my knowledge is read off the internet and could be written by a spotty 13 year old who plays Fortnite.

I've always known these as raised collars

IIRC, the approved docs allow for these ties to be raised up to 1/3 of the height, and after that you'll need to justify by calculation

From LABC warranty

upload_2022-2-4_13-22-12.png

Sponsored Links
If you have a ridge beam then the ties become redundant in preventing the roof from spreading and you can put your ceiling joists in at whatever level you want to
Seeing as I need ceiling joists they can be belt and braces ties too.

If you have a ridge beam then the ties become redundant in preventing the roof from spreading and you can put your ceiling joists in at whatever level you want to
They may still need to brace the walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back