Rafters showing moving away from wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a flat roof re-felted and the plasterboard down off the ceiling and I've seen a small amount of movement in the rafters away from the timber wall plate (I think that's correct terminology?). Max 1cm, is the worst, not all rafters have moved, I'm guessing it could be shrinkage due to having a heater blasting directly underneath during this cold weather or the roof moved whilst being felted. What can I use to secure these? Some sort of 'L' bracket was my first thought. Screw into the rafters and attach to base plate.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• timber base plate rafter gap.jpg
    timber base plate rafter gap.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 266
Sponsored Links
Recently had a flat roof re-felted and the plasterboard down off the ceiling and I've seen a small amount of movement in the rafters away from the timber wall plate (I think that's correct terminology?). Max 1cm, is the worst, not all rafters have moved, I'm guessing it could be shrinkage due to having a heater blasting directly underneath during this cold weather or the roof moved whilst being felted. What can I use to secure these? Some sort of 'L' bracket was my first thought. Screw into the rafters and attach to base plate.

Thanks for the help.
movement or was it like that when fitted?

Surely they are bolted or screwed down from the top?

brackets would do

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to shrink along length that much , not same damage to white finish above , looks like it was installed like that .
Brackets wouldn’t hurt .
More likely wall plate has warped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back