Wall plate timber

6 Aug 2019
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Evening All. I am about to start constructing the roof on my extension, which is a typical single storey, with a lean to roof joining the house.

The 'lower' wall plate, I.e. the one sat on the blockwork is best made from either 50x100 or 75x100 timber by the sound of it, to give enough to nail into.

What about the 'upper' wall plate that is attached to the wall? Is there a recommended size, or just use either the same as above, or same as the rafters (50x175 in this case)?

Also, is there anything that says the upper wall plate should be in one continuous piece or are you allowed gaps? I have a soil stack to go through the roof and it gives very little clearance from the wall plate, unless I make a gap.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local