wall plate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I am building a lean to extension starting shortly, the plans show the window and a double door in the back wall both 1.8M wide, the top of the door and window frames are sited directly at wall plate height to make the most out of the headroom and to keep the roof pitch to 15deg, and obviously the rafters attach to the wall plate, the only loading on the wall plate is the tiled roof/snow loading,the window/door is affixed to the outer brickwork, the plans call for a structural wall plate to bridge the gaps for the door and window, I have looked online and i cant find any information on structural wall plates, what do I use?
regards Andy.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ask whoever drew up the plans to do their job and specify something properly. I've never heard of a structural wallplate, I suspect it's a made up name which is why you can't find any info.

I also suspect you won't fit anything in, which is why your plan drawer conveniently didn't bother to specify anything.

Sounds a bit too good to be true, let us know what it turns out to be. Normally you’re looking at least a 4x2 sat on a course of blocks sat on a lintel.

It's probably going to be a double 7x2 or 8x2 to act as lintel and a plate. But whether that is too high to get the pitch is anyone's guess.

Otherwise it's a frankenbeam with a small section steel and a 4x1 nailed on top. But this will require a structural engineer to prove it, if the inspector wants calculations.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back