wall plates and lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Would like sme advise, I have attached an architects drawing which I how explains in a bit more detail.

We have a pitched roof line that comes down to above the window and door height, which makes overall sense, the architect has requested a wall plate which again works and runs across to a final pillar. This wall plate spans the full area including a patio door and corner window which seem to have no other support above them. In my mind I would be expecting a lintel maybe wooden across from the wall from the pillar, which is then tied into the wall that projects 90 degrees.

Can you have a wall plate and nothing below, no lintel etc?

Attachments

• IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 759
Sponsored Links
Just to add the span between the support post and the nearest solid wall is 6m (just under)

If I'm reading that drawing and your words correctly, the door and window are under the eaves of your roof? That's a chunky wallplate (100 x 150 engineer TBC), all it has to carry is the roof and snow loading so in principle it'll be fine- the timber is acting as a lintel. If you had another storey of bricks/blocks above the door it'd be a different kettle of fish.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's correct doors and eves under the roof, no additional bricks etc.

Yes you would be correct that timber itself is acting as the lintel so this seems to make sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back