Lintel too high for wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AS above, Ive just put in the lintel specified above my 3.6m bi-fold doors in my new bungalow extension. The lintel had to be an extra heavy duty catnic style. Having now done some further measuring it would appear that the top of the lintel is now too high for the wall plate to go on top and match up with the existing wall plate on the bungalow.

Do I need a 50mm thick wall plate across the lintel or can it be thinner or even not have one and have the roof fixed into the lintel?

Any ideas thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well 50mm min. for a wallplate really, but you'll have to go with what you've got.

Finish the two sides lower than the lintel, to take a normal wallplate & make up the height above the lintel with a thinner piece of timber.

You'll have to be a bit creative with the strapping down detail though.

Next time make your door slightly lower ;)

Get whoever drew the plans back, and ask them why their design does not work.

You can have no wallplate if you like, but then you will need an alternate method of restraining the roof

As per Woodbeetle.

You need to design out such things, usually prior to ordering expensive lintels that won't fit.

In a similar job we were able to substitute a proprietary steel lintel with a shallower steel beam.

Sponsored Links
Hard to understand how you have arrived at this situation.
Existing bungalow storey height from FFL should be 2400. New opening should be 2100 leaving you 300 for extra heavy duty lintel supporting course of block and 50mm plate on heavy bed.
Where have you gone wrong?
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back