Railway Sleeper Bench Treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Forum, I made a railway sleeper bench last year and she isn't holding up against the elements too well.

I gave her a surface treatment with some cuprinol fence stain (had a leftover bucket from doing the fence) for but it isn't enough to keep the cracks in the wood from widening.

Just looking for some advice really on what would be the best product (or combination of products) to seal up these gaps to stop the elements from getting to them?

I was thinking something with a wax base to fill the gaps would be best but not familiar with what is out there and best to use for this purpose. Regular wood filler tends to crack around the edges so was thinking this thinking this may not be the right way to go.

I would obviously sand it down before and after and apply a final coat of stain but this wouldn't adhere too well to a wax based filler.

Appreciate your suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_4120.jpg
    IMG_4120.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4121.jpg
    IMG_4121.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Epoxy filler for that big crack then have a word with Ron Seal to finish off.

Hmm interesting. Can you give me a link to this epoxy filler pls? Is it a wax based filler? Not like epoxy resin surely?

Sponsored Links
Im thinking to fill the cracks with something dark, black ideally then stain the rest of it dark brown so will need to fill most of (if not all) of the cracks. Ideally something that I could pour over it that will sink in and harden with a waxy finish...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back