Rain from cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Grateful for advice.

My parents live in a first floor flat. There's one flat above. 1940s - 50s build, at a guess.

When it rains, they have water appearing into the flat from the cavity wall, just below the window, behind the plastic horizontal internal facing.

This has been an ongoing issue for many years. Roofers have replaced bits of the roof. Neighbour above has had her window resealed. Her pointing looks OK. The area of harling above their window and below neighbours has been reharled. Parents replaced their windows 6 months ago, and the window cills last week. All of this has cost many thousands.

Water is still coming in.

Mother now wants me to remove the internal facing below the window, and to fill the cavity with foam, silicone, etc. This seems like a bad idea to me, as I was under the impression that any water coming in should run down the cavity, as opposed to into their house. I feel that filling the cavity will just make the water run somewhere else, possibly somewhere else in their own property.

What are the next best steps, and what profession should they talk to? The scattergun approach to window replacement / cills / harling / roof just isn't getting the job done.

Cheers,

KB.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It seems like you need a cavity tray .

This should be the Landlord's obligation to rectify

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back