rain water gully seems not to be connected to drain system

jso

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old property - 1837 vicarage with attached cottage, which used to be a stable, but is now a two-bedroom cottage.
Damp patch on the landing suggested water ingress through stone exterior...discovered that a cast iron down pipe was overflowing about half way up, where there is a bracket attaching it to the wall, and, I assume a joint between the upper and lower lengths.
The gully into which this flows was completely blocked with soil and roots, which have also backed up into the downcomer itself (and which I can't seem to be able to clear).
But in any case, the gully, once I'd excavated the soil and roots in the chamber, doesn't seem to be connected to any of the drains in the courtyard in front of the property. I've lifted all the manhole covers, and there are no inlets which could correspond to this rainwater gully. I can't test it, as it is still blocked up at the entrance to the pipe, and I can't rod it as it is right next to the wall. I was going to clear it from the other end...but can't find another end!
Given the age of the property, could this possibly just be feeding into a soakaway somewhere now hidden by the tarmac of the courtyard?
Also any idea how I could clear both the gully and the downcomer. As a last resort for the latter I was thinking of just cutting off the last couple of feet and replacing with plastic.

Sponsored Links
As a post script, I have excavated the clay gully trap, and discovered it does seem connected to a clay system, going off purposefully to somewhere under the tarmac...I guess there's a junction somewhere to another clay pipe which does feed into the i.c.

But no rodding point, of course, so I'm planning on disassembling the gully and its connection to the first flanged clay pipe in order to clear it. Hopefully without breaking any of the pipework or the sweep on the gully.

Meanwhile I've disassembled the cast iron down pipe - removed the shoe first, then discovered another jointed section hidden by the branches of a well-established climber (whose roots have caused the blockage in the first place). Unfortunately the pipe then snapped.

Is there a way of sticking cast iron pipe back together?

Other than stitch welding the answer is no.

However, all may not be lost. There are numerous reclamation yards around which may have cast iron down pipes, shoes, brackets etc. Google to see if there are any in your area. You may just be lucky enough to have one handy. It would be a travesty to ruin a grand old building by fitting plastic.

Sponsored Links
It would be a travesty to ruin a grand old building by fitting plastic.

I agree...although it's the only one of three on the front elevation of the cottage which is the original cast iron. The other two, one on each side, are plastic. As are nearly all those on the main house, sadly.

But I'll have a look around the local reclamation yard. I know that new cast iron pipes come in at £95 (ex. VAT) from JTDoves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back