Rain water gully not attached to anything

15 May 2009
Reaction score
West Midlands
United Kingdom
I have been getting signs of water on one side of a house I have bought.

Water is coming on days it rains. To test the source, I put a hose pipe in the rain water gully in front of the house and that seemed to be the source of the problem.

I dug out the gully and it leads to nothing. So basically, a clay gully is buried in front of the house, with the bottom end connecting to nothing what so ever. Has anyone ever come across this?

What would be the best solution to fix the water issue?

I am considering, installing a new gully and running a pipe to the main soil stack. Would this require building regulations?

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
no regs dude id have a dig about and see if the pipe has sunk or cracked away you just mite find it the cut it flush and clean it use a rubber joint from clay to 110mm plastic pipe with a new hopper set in place and made good or yer run it in to a man hole or the nex hopper make shoe its runing away then the job is a gooden
Connecting rainwater drain to the foul (soil stack) is not allowed sorry to say. Its rare (but not unknown) for pipes to lead nowhere. I would imagine it was left to drain into the ground, the spigot on the trap looks too clean to have ever been jointed.

Depending on the rainwater drainage arrangements for the rest of the property, if there is no seperate rainwater drains, then you may need to dig a suitable soakaway for this pipe.
it can run in too a ma hole as dus your sink ans washing machine water go,s
Sponsored Links
No your rainwater can not go into foul water, you need to make a new soakaway
Is it ok to attach it to another drain? I.e. the one where the kitchen sink and roof down pipe go?
in some areas (especially older ones) both foul and rain water go into the same sewer. I know it is not encouraged these days but I don't see why you can't do it if that's the way your house is already done.
in some areas (especially older ones) both foul and rain water go into the same sewer. I know it is not encouraged these days but I don't see why you can't do it if that's the way your house is already done.

after all, who's going to know?

failing that dig a 1mcu soak away at least 5m away from any buildings use the egg crate system (back filling with rubble is also unacceptable) then lay a new pipe in pea to the downpipe.

sometimes doing it 'right' is just too expensive.
A couple of things?

1/. How old is the house? In older properties it is common to have a dual system, that is where foul and rain water use the same pipes and underground drains. Your post seems to suggest that the rain water off the roof and the Kitchen waste are a combined drainage system, if so then I see no problems in running the rain water that is going no where into that system, provided that the distance is not too great and You can get a fall on the U/Ground new drain

2/. A down pipe from a roof going nowhere is unfortunately a very common problem, rain water stacks are not often tested by the local authority, being no actual hazard biologically speaking.
Thanks guys for your responses.

The house is from the 1930 - 40ies.

The rear roof down pipe and the kitchen waste are going into the same gully. I have attached new pictures.

I have been digging further today and the plan now is to replace the gully in the picture below, with a new one, that I can connect another pipe to. The pipe will then run along the side of the property to the proposed new gully. The new gully will be on the other side of the gate (in picture 2).

Can anyone see any issues with this plan?

Would this be a suitable trap, to replace the current gully? Because the current one is almost at surface level. I went into it, while breaking the concrete. (You can see the hole in the picture.)


That trap will do, you'll need a hopper to go with it, or use a bottle gulley. You'll also need a coupling to join plastic to the existing salt glazed, 'Fernco' is one type, Wickes do their own version.

Technically you do require building regs approval, hence my first comment, but if you just connect up and keep quiet Building Control will be none the wiser!
We had a dig this weekend and found that the pipe coming from stack and kitchen gully are attached with a T junction and then lead to one drain pipe for the house.

We have decided to put a T connection at the bottom of the stack and feeding the new gully into that. The old kitchen gully is replaced with bottle gully and attached to the pipe as the old bully in the picture.

Just wondering, is there any issue with attaching to the base of soil stack, as compared to attaching to the kitchen gully? They are both going into same drain pipe.
You do not need planning permission to run surface water into a soil stack. However, do not forget that you need a fall from the gully to the existing stack and you will need a trap after the gully if the gully is not a bottle trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links