1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Raise garden and lay patio against side of house.

Discussion in 'Building' started by twentytwenty, 22 Apr 2020.

1. twentytwenty

twentytwenty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My house is built into a hillside and I am wanting to raise a couple of feet the side of the sloping hill so that it is level and make a usable patio.

My question is. As I will be infilling with soil and rubble against the house. Should I be doing anything to treat the side of the house to stop water ingress etc (building a block wall).. It will be flagged and a drainage channel will be laid next to the house wall to take water away but wondered if I should treat the wall below? There is no damp now at all but wondered if it would be good practice.

See picture attached.

[​IMG]

Many thanks for all advice.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There are rules on decking that relate to the original height of the land, I assume that a patio is also affected.

In any case, I would build a retaining wall away from the house wall, leaving a gap. You could design the gap to fit a readily available grille or duct.

4. twentytwenty

twentytwenty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would like it to go up to the wall ideally.. It would look neater. Also, my father owns a couple of Tiger Cubs randomly :)

5. bobasd

bobasd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you have any ideas on the following:
    Can you explain this proposed retaining wall - where exactly will it be located, and to what height?
    Have you considered any affect the wall depth might have on the foundation of the lean-to?
    Where will the channel drain to - how will it discharge.
    At what ground depth will it be set?

The exposed brickwork looks plenty damp - and there are great damp patches showing in the upper left render.
    All the render below the exposed brickwork must come off - in fact best practice would be to remove and re-do all that gable render.
    The lean to is showing damp - some is green algae splashes from the gutter outlet & missing down pipe.

You need to locate the DPC's in both buildings.
    fwiw: what looks like those Dutch scam dpc devices appear to be on the front elevation lower right.
    Are you saying there's no indications of damp inside the property?

6. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sponsored Links
  8. bobasd

bobasd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OP,
    The above self sticking panels wont work with your proposals.
    Neither will they work if a bit of broken masonry or a rock in the backfill pierces the skins, and allows moisture penetration.

9. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Its designed for below ground and is very robust.

Clearly you have never used it, dont comment on things you know nothing about.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The infamous Dutch caps.

11. bobasd

bobasd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OP,
    Its glaringly obvious why the panels wont work on your project - dont involve yourself with something that is expensive & unsuitable.

12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local