1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Raise gutter above ground level or leave it as it is?

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by dllive, 5 Jul 2019.

1. dllive

dllive

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

See the plastic gutter pot(drain?) in this picture. (Ignore the pipe going off horizontally, I will remove that and the downpipe will go stright down to the plastic drain).

I want the ground level (the bit that hastnt got gravel on) to be same level as the gravel. Im obviousy concerned about gravel being kicked into the drain.

Should I either raise the drain (I presume theres an extension fixing or something to do this) so its above the ground layer. OR leave the drain as it is and is there a concrete guard that I can use which come up above the gravel level which would stop gravel being kicked in it? Ive seen this that might do the job? https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Supreme-Concrete-Gully-Surround-9in/p/701716

Thanks

2. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Most have grids to stop things going in?

3. dllive

dllive

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oops! Looks like I didnt include the photo! See here:

gutter-pot.jpg
    Yes - it has a black grid. But Im still concerned leaves and smaller bits of gravel will get in.

4. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would raise it higher, look in your local plumbers merchants for a solution and show them the photo. Buy a cover if you are still concerned.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would suggest it needs some sort of raised surround, help channel water in and keep debris out. My gulleys were just set below level, with a flat concrete surround. Even though surrounded by just flat concrete, they would collect debris and need frequent clearing out - I have five of them. My tractor mower flings its output far.

I have built some up with stone or bricks cemented in place and added a flat perspex cover over the top, tight fitting to the downpipes, others - I have simply bought and fitted those cheap plastic gulley covers to.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. dllive

dllive

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  7. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Mw Roofline

Mw Roofline

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The pot is there to take the rainwater from the pipe above and not to collect water from the drive so just extend the grid higher with a bottle gulley riser and extend it higher than the gravel so nothing can block the grid. Your main issue is the render on the house is in the way of extending it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1