1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Decommission rainwater downpipe

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by EdTurtle, 29 Aug 2019.

1. EdTurtle

EdTurtle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I currently have a rainwater downpipe going into a clay 90 deg bend, then into pitch pipe, and then onto (we assume) a soak away. The clay bend is blocked solid, and when i dug around to expose the pitch pipe i put a hole in the pipe (accidentally), and its half full of silt and not draining particularity well. A drain guy had a quick look and said the easiest thing to do is discharge into the kitchen gully which is about 4 feet away. This would mean the guttering would come down the wall, and then go off at an angle to the gully as there's a window there so cant drop straight down. I think this would look odd but after trying to find the drain running from the gully to the manhole (under a patio), so i could connect under ground for a neater job, i gave up and accepted that it will look alright, I'll put a plant in front of it to hide it if it looks too weird.

So, two things really.

1) What do i do with the old drainage run, obviously i'm not removing it all, but do i need to fill the clay bend with gravel, seal it up, let it fill with soil? Its in a small flower border.

2) I don't want to put the downpipe directly onto the metal grate in the kitchen gully, so i can remove the grate easily to clean etc...The downpipe will discharge onto concrete surrounding the grate, which will slope towards the gully. Do i need to put any sort of sealant on the concrete (or dpc under the concrete) to ensure the water flows into the gully, rather than soaking in?

I can get photos if needed, just let me know.

Thanks in advance

2. 23vc

23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    1. Issue might be if it isn’t going to a soakaway, as you’re not sure, may be a potential dead leg linked to an existing drain run = possible future rat issue
    2. Just put a shoe/bend on the pipe so it’s angled down into the gulley
    If you’ve not got a combined drain system then you shouldn’t really be doing this, not that anyone’s gonna know

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. EdTurtle

EdTurtle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    1. So what would i do in this instance then, i could put something over the pipe and seal it in? My only concern was if the drain did fill up with water it wouldn't have anywhere to go. Having said that, if that happens and theres nothing sealing it, either way i guess i have a problem to sort?

2. Was going to angle it in, i aready have the shoe ready to go, just thought that concrete is porous, and didnt want the rainwater to soak through, as its right next to the house.

IT says on our water rates that we already pay for rainwater to go down the drain, so i assume its ok to actually do this.

Thanks

4. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not if it is a split system, with separate surface water and soil drains. Surfaces water goes straight to streams and river untreated, soil costs much more to be treated, so you would be adding to their costs of treatment.

5. EdTurtle

EdTurtle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok, so how would i find out which i have then?

6. 23vc

23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What year was the house built approx?

7. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ask your local water authority armed with your postcode.

Take a peep down inspection covers and use dye down your toilet and surface water gulleys.

8. EdTurtle

EdTurtle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    what are surface water gulleys?

Thanks

9. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Might be missing something but isn't cleaning and repairing the drain
    the correct thing to do :?::!:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Usually square, in the ground, with a grate to stop large debris and a trap below - into which the open end of pipes drain.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. EdTurtle

EdTurtle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We only have one surface water gully, which is what i'll be discharging the rainwater into. This also has a pipe discharging into it - coming from the kitchen.

Still not sure what this means/what i should do about it.

Thanks

12. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the kitchen sink is discharging into it, it should be a soiled water gulley, rather than a surface water one - unless you are sure your local arrangement is a combined sewer system.

13. EdTurtle

EdTurtle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok, i'll have a look into it further.

Thanks