Raise loft floor for insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice and help please!

Year of house construction is 1993. Trussed fink rafters ('W' strutting) at 605 centres. 6m span. Joist depth is only 70mm. 70mm rockwool insulation between.

The water tank is built up in the middle of the span on 200mm deep timbers resting on the joists. There are stud walls in the 2 rooms below presumable supporting this weight. 1 block wall below stud at ground floor.

Want to insulate to total of 270mm with rock wool and board over about 2/3rds of floor as a storage area.

Propose 200x50mm rough sawn timbers at right angles to trusses, screw fixed with brackets. Because the trusses divide the floor into 3 areas I intend to space the 200x50 timbers 1160mm apart, 2 200x50 lengths in each 3rd of the truss length. On top of the 200x50 there will be 50x50 cross battens @ 605 or 403 centres, spanning 1160mm with small cantilever each end. This is to allow a 50mm air gap and support a floor.

The idea is that the load on the 200x50 timber is close to the load bearing support below (outside walls and stud) away from the middle of the span.

Does this seem feasible? Will my roof collapse?
Is 50x50mm section suitable to span 1160mm with 400mm cantilevering each end? Will 605mm centres be suitable to span 1160mm and support floor load?

Sponsored Links
Your method will add no strength to current roof timber merely extra weight.I would screw 270mm X 50mm timber full length to existing rafters then add rockwool to 270mm and board over , no air gap required and does not encrouch on head room as much as your suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back