Raised edges on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted plasterboards, using screws 15 mm apart, on a timber frame. Only done a few so far.

Left 3mm gap in between each board. Screws 10 - 15mm from edge.

Problem is, some of the edges are raised, by about 1mm. This makes it impossible to tape and join. No idea what is causing this.

The timber beams are flat.

What effect will it have to just sand before taping and adding joint plaster? I guess the white paper and brown paper will come off. How will this effect the quality later on?[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Imm won't affect you as you will be 'feathering' it back. I'm assuming they are not tapered edge boards?

Don't go sanding the paper.

If you pout a straight eddge across them does it rock ie is it just a 1mm step or is somethng else off?

They are tapered edge boards.

They are 1200mm wide. So I had to cut them to fit the wood beams. Is this what is causing the raised edge? Noticed most of the raised edges are on the side that has been cut by me and not the factory cut.

I guess feathering the raised edge would work. Did try this in practice on a board and found I was ripping the adhesive tape sometimes.

I already sanded one board to the white plaster, before I read your reply. What impact will this have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back