Raised garden beds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to figure out which raised garden bed to do. I have slight budget restrictions but wanted to know what difference in price will be.

my size for beds will be approx, 800mm by 9m both sides of garden with height of approx 600mm.

i have thought about doing block with, then render then paint and for this i will need approx 350-400 blocks. so around £1000 which will include labour and materials. Been quoted £200 for labour to complete this in 2 days. He is doing my garage so will render it when he does my garage so wont charge extra...

Another option is wood based raising. similar size/spec to above. With blocks i can maybe go bit fancy and do some curves etc.... with wood i cant.

so based on above, whats generally cheaper, wood of block? even in terms of less maintenance. If i went for wood option, my dads a carpenter so will save money on labour/fixing just need material but i have no idea what wood to go for hence not sure of price range, where as for block work i know price

any advice will be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I built a timber raised bed recently - approx 6 metres by 1.3 metres and approx 800mm high - it cost me under £300 in tanalised timber.
I'd expect a block built bed to last longer (stone doesn't rot!), and block will also help stop the bed from drying out (if that's an issue), as water would move out through or between the timbers. You could do both - have a block built base with a couple of lines of timber on top.

Render on raised beds is often problematic. water proofing the inside well is very important and without it the render will blow in time and forever be stained.

Personally i would use sleepers, much faster and cheaper for a nicer looking result. You can then redo it in 10 years if you dont want it anymore as many people dont. Removing them will obviously be much simpler

Of course block will last longer but ironically will require more maintenance but is a lifetime job if done right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back