Raised Patio help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can offer some advice.

I'd like to extend my patio up to the edge of my porch, but having dug out the earth round the porch I've discovered the foundations are going to be in the way, so I'm going to have to raise it. I only need to raise it slightly and have been offered some masonry blocks for creating a retaining wall which are 440 x 215 x 90mm, so I'd only need to lay one course.

A few questions...

Will these blocks be suitable for a retaining wall?

What do you use for foundations? I have some small pavers I've just lifted @ 400 x 400mm, could I just lay these as normal, using a sub-base and bedding layer and then put the blocks on top?

I'll need to slope the pavers away from the house, do you start the slope at foundation level?

Also, do I need to worry about drainage inside a retaining wall this small?

I'd appreciate any help at all, thanks for looking

Cheers,

Craig.

Sponsored Links
Assuming they are concrete blocks they will be fine. Thermal celcon type blocks not so much.

As for the base, even for a one block wall you still need a concrete foundation, it can be a spade wide and 6 inches thick then lay the blocks on a bed of mortar.

How do you intend to finish the blocks? i.e do you want to render them paint them or just leave them exposed?

As for drainage, a few joints raked out to provide weep holes will be fine.

As for the slope i don't understand what you mean start at foundation level?

Thanks for responding.

I intend to leave the blocks exposed as they are a similar colour to the pavers. Should they be treated? They are concrete.

Regarding the slope... As when laying a patio the slope is formed in the sub-base, so that the sub-base and bedding layer are an even depth throughout, I wondered if the foundations and therefor the retaining wall itself should be sloped?

Thanks again,

C.

Ok its really up to you depending on the distances involved. Whatever is easiest. You will not notice a 1:60 fall on a low wall like that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back