Raising a man hole cover, restrictions and other questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I plan to convert my tiny utility and make it so will be the access into the adjoining bathroom. It's not simple to explain but the utility was not part of the original building. Under the timber floor boards is a man hole cover which leads to a gulley for soil waste. I want re-do the utility floor and tile it all to match with the bathroom but can the man hole cover be raised up and have tiles fitted to the lid as access will be needed and it can't be covered over permanently.

I can tell that it is not a public sewer (by the sewer report which came with the conveyancing checks) but it is shared by the flat above us. Their soil pipe runs into it as does ours from above. I am going to have to get building control involved with the whole project but before I do, does anyone think it will be an issue to build a proper room over this man hole/drain area?

The pictures show the sub-floor level and the area where the rainwater guttering enters in too.

Sorry it's hard to explain but the property I have purchased has had little work done on it for some 30 years and they have been living in the dark ages I think.

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
All will need sealing in I think. Manhole can be brought up to required level with brickwork (engineering bricks), then a sealed cover fitted. The cover is secured to the frame with screws so can be removed if necessary, and cover can be tiled to match surrounding floor.

Gulley may need to be replaced with a sealed version, or a stub stack, and wastes connected directly into this. Downpipe can be connected to the drain with suitable connector.

All will need sealing in I think. Manhole can be brought up to required level with brickwork (engineering bricks), then a sealed cover fitted. The cover is secured to the frame with screws so can be removed if necessary, and cover can be tiled to match surrounding floor.

Gulley may need to be replaced with a sealed version, or a stub stack, and wastes connected directly into this. Downpipe can be connected to the drain with suitable connector.

Cool thanks, so I can builded above an inspection gulley chamber at least. I see Selco building supplies do a galvanised, double seal, recessed tray (600mm x 457mm) for 40 quid odd. Do you think this would be suitable? I think the important thing here is that it is an 'indoor' one.

Thanks again for the help!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back