Raising a small floor area - Concrete or Wood? (pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D Hello.

My first post! I'll get right to it - The downstairs of my house has laminated floor, on top of a wooden suspended floor. The house has both an inner (wooden frame) and outer (UPVC) front door. I'm having a typical glazing company fit a new front door & side panel windows in a few weeks time.

The suspended floor ends at the inner door, with the area between the two doors (about 800mm x 1700mm) dropping down around 4" to a tiled concrete base.

See photo's.....

019_zps52fa694c.jpg

020_zps70c5eee7.jpg

021_zpsb6d82035.jpg

022_zps69b4ce37.jpg

We are removing both doors, and having only the outer door replaced with a modern one. The wife then wants to continue the height of the suspended floor to the new front door (the new door frame which will be raised to suspended floor level on a new row of bricks by the window company).

When they've fitted the new outer door and removed the inner door, i'll be left with the void (red tiled area) to bring up to the level of the suspended floor.

To my knowledge, I have two options;

- Fill it with concrete. Using pipes to keep airflow? Risk loosing a lot of heat through the concrete?

or

- Construct a new section of wooden floor to meet up with the existing height. Possibly more work?

Can anyone give me any advice here, plus hints/tips on doing it? Ultimately we intend to use a piece of coir to cover the area, using threshold bar to mate it up against the laminate. (as I don't have any of the original laminate left over to complete the run right up to the door.)

Very grateful for any help :D :)

Tom

Sponsored Links
are you allowed to turn what looks like a porch into an internal part of the house? that might be classed as an extension no? its on the front of the house?

are you allowed to turn what looks like a porch into an internal part of the house? that might be classed as an extension no? its on the front of the house?

If it is a porch, with sides, I would be less concerned whether I was allowed to do it, than whether in practice I would be losing heat through it. If it's an external porch I'd want to be sure the insulation was up to scratch. If it's an internal recessed porch I'd be less concerned.

The quickest way to do it (unless you have a concrete mixer) is probably to fix joists to the porch floor of whatever height needed, and fix flooring to the top of them.

Cheers
Richard

Hi,

Thanks for the responses above - No it's not an extension (See the pic below), you can see the outer door (which will be replaced, flush with the front wall of the house) and through it you can just make out the inner door (that will be removed).

DSC_0274_zps98c53490.jpg

Thanks for the comments about fixing joists, how will I fix them to the concrete, using a plug like fixing a shelf to a brick wall?

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links
They dont need fixed down the flooring holds them in place.

how about using something like jablite and make it a floating floor.that way you wont have to worry about venting under the floor?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back