Raising conctrete floor level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my utility room i want to rais he floor level by about 3 and a half inches, what do i need to take into concideration when hightening a floor with concrete with regards to my dpc? may seem a silly question but ive never seen this done before. also would the concrete need reinforcement put in it? ie steel mesh?

Sponsored Links
Needing to raise by 85mm is a bit in-between'ish.
Not enough for a layer of concrete and a layer of screed, and a little too much for just a screed.
Again, not quite enough for a layer of insulation and then screed.

For instance, a layer of concrete really needs to be about 50mm.
A layer of screed really needs to be about 40mm, or 65mm over insulation. (for normal sand/cement screed)

It may be possible to use a, say 30mm layer of insulation, then a 55mm liquid type of screed.

Or you could have a 50mm layer of concrete with a 35mm layer of sand/cement screed with additives.

I'm no expert, but perhaps my comments will encourage debate.

If you already have a dpm in the original floor, no additional dpm should be required.
If you have no dpm already there's ample opportunity to add one.
You souldn't need any mesh in the concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back