Raising level of concrete floor by 10mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In our downstairs toilet (only about 2sqm) I have just ripped up some old laminate flooring and underlay, revealing a decent condition, albeit with some small lumps and bumps, concrete floor.

The boss has bought some cushioned sheet vinyl that she would like me to fit. I have about a 10mm discrepancy in the floor level that I need to fill between that floor and the hallway.

The toilet is also being replaced, so I've got a blank canvas to work with, so to speak.

Should I...

1) Put down 9mm ply sheet on top of the concrete and lay the vinyl on top of that. Is there an issue with a damp membrane being needed or anything? Also, I can see it could be a pain and quite a lot of effort to drill and screw the number of holes at the correct centres

2) Use self-levelling compound. I've never used this. Do I just mix and throw it down, or do i need to prime beforehand? Could the vinyl sheet then be fixed straight to this using adhesive?

3) Do something else. Is there a better option that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Are you a carpet fitter? Mine does t do preparation. But you need to check no damp and if not use a primer and flood it with a smoothing compound.

Nope...just a regular keen DIYer!

Thanks for the reply. I don't think there's any issue with damp, and I have some primer, so could do that option easily I reckon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back