Raising outside toilet floor with floor mounted boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you think is the best idea please....

My parents outside toilet (1.6m x 2m) has an oil boiler in the corner of the room. The concrete floor was evidently intended to be tiled, because the floor is about 2cm lower than the concrete threshold. I am not about to have the boiler removed to raise the floor underneath, but I do want to get rid of the trip hazzard at the door to save my 84 year old dad!

Preferably I'd like to do it myself, but I'm not a competent tiler really, nor good with levelling compound.

Could I raise the floor with boards and vinyl/lino it? (Bearing in mind I need to stop at the boiler)

Could I concrete the floor and paint it?

Could I board the floor and vinyl (waterproof click floor) it?

Or have you got some good ideas that are better but still diy-able?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Might be worth using a sheet of 3/4 plywood screwing down into the concrete, you could use concrete and paint it. Obviously leaving enough access to the boiler cover and any associated parts.

I'm not sure i could get ply flat enough at the joints, and I would need joins to get it through the door.

What about the levelling boards that go under laminate flooring? Would they survive any potential damp in the atmosphere? Although since the boiler is there, there probably isnt a damp atmosphere.

I’ve never seen them, so couldn’t comment. Might just be better with concrete then?

Sponsored Links
Now that would be better. But I would really struggle to get large boards down because the door opens inwards. And in that small space i also have to dodge the boiler and toilet pipr which goes into the floor.

Remove the door you say? :giggle: I was hoping this would be an easy job. After Ive done the floor i need to fit a new toilet and cistern.

But tongue and groove sounds good. I will google if the do it in 30x60 cms or similar.....

If you can't dam round the boiler and mix and pour in a couple of bags of runny self leveling (the clue's in the name) then I wouldn't attempt much else - I'm imagining a toilet sitting on wobbly bits of wood. Maybe just make a small plywood ramp inside the door to remove the trip.

Now that would be better. But I would really struggle to get large boards down because the door opens inwards. And in that small space i also have to dodge the boiler and toilet pipr which goes into the floor.

Remove the door you say? :giggle: I was hoping this would be an easy job. After Ive done the floor i need to fit a new toilet and cistern.

But tongue and groove sounds good. I will google if the do it in 30x60 cms or similar.....
Removing a door is easy, if you find it otherwise then maybe give up.

Ha ha. I agree, removing a door is not difficult. But it's another job. And I'm feeling tired and grumpy and wish i had more energy and bigger biceps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back