Raising roof of extension.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking at buying a new house and across the back there is an odd sized extension of about 3m x 0.7m and a bit which is a bit wider of about 1.8m x 2m. One part extends the dining room and the slightly wider part is an outbuilding on the back of our kitchen.

We're thinking about knocking through into it from the inside so its a lot more open plan and also fitting some french doors, however the ceiling/roof is quite low.

Can anyone advise how big of a job it would be to effectively raise the roof up by a about 50cm so that when it is knocked through the house maintains the same ceiling height (or as near as possible).

You may think this is an odd request but it would make the kitchen we have much more usable when we come to knock the walls down and would give us more usable wall space (at the moment the low roof means we wouldn't be able to put wall units up etc.)

Is this a massive job? Anyone any ideas how much its likely to cost? By my reckoning you wouldn't need any new slate for it as it can rebuilt at the same pitch just at a higher level. Just the outside walls will need to be built up to accommodate it. Theres probably lots more to it than that but just wondering if anyone can shed any light on it?

Sponsored Links
There is no reason why the tiles and lead flashing can not be reused as long as the decrease in pitch is not prohibitive and that they can be salvaged without breakages.

The rest of the materials i.e. timber, fascia, felt etc is likely to be scrapped or pointless economic salvage i.e. it will take too long to carefully remove and de-nail. Besides which the plumb and seat cuts will be moderately off which may also be a bind.

You may be able to re-use the ceiling joists and any insulation.

All wall plate straps will have to be re fixed.

You will need to remove valuable stuff from the room in question and isolate electrics.

Cost about £3-4k.

Building Control will be interested too.

Bit more than I was expecting really, was expecting it to be more around the 2k area!

Eeeekkkk, need to rethink how we tackle this work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back