Raising the roof!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi....and thanks in advance for any help.

We have just bought a new house (3 bed 1980's built bungalow), and due to compromises being made everywhere to allow us to afford it, it turns out space is a little more cramped than we thought it would be. The easiest solution would be to add a loft extention, but the roof is at quite a shallow pitch, so there isn't really room. A couple of people (100% laymen!) have wondered about the idea of raising the roof by the height of a few layers of bricks, then replacing it- making the loft space bigger.

I have no idea if this is remotely possible, and whilst I appreciate this is a DIY forum, and this would not be a DIY job, I have found some very helpful advice on here before. So 2 questions:

1) Is it possible/feasible?
2) How many of the children would I have to sell on e-bay to pay for it!

I am aware that I might run into planning permission problems, but thought I might as well check it was possible first!

Sponsored Links
1) Yes possible
2) Assuming you have 23 children i would guess about 21 of them.. not the cheapest option.

Cheapest would be to add an extension to the property.. room in the roof's require headroom normally in the form of steep 45' pitched roof. Also chances are you have a modern truss roof (lots of small timbers running diagonally through the loft space) meaning you will need to basically re-do the whole roof. The other thing to consider is you will loose plan area in the hallway where the stairs will be required thus making the downstairs even smaller.

Ha Ha,

I had a feeling that even if it was possible, it would be a prohibitively expensive.

Thanks for taking the time to rid me of the idea!

Sponsored Links
Could be doable if your kids are in anyway rare or collectable. Or are they just normal kids? (ten a penny round here!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back