New loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help. I live in a 4 bed detached house, however we're looking for ways to increase living space. I'm currently looking at the possibility of getting a loft conversion. We have no water tanks or anything in the loft but the roof is quite shallow and is a trussed roof.

Would we need to get a new roof and build up the walls to get enough head height? I presume that is a mammoth job, what sorry off money are we talking about, 50K?

Is this likely to be a good idea or is this normally a total waste of money and still not look great after it is finished.

Any opinions welcome

Sponsored Links
What is the height from existing top of joist level to the underside of the ridge? Typically you need to deduct around 200-300mm for the floor and 100mm at the roof for insulation. If the space remaining is too small you may need a dormer to make it work or if not raising the roof is sometimes an option. Its not unheard of to lower the ceilings of the first floor but this is a bit of a nightmare to say the least. Assume around £25-50K. Depends on size of house, amount of work involved, a dormer or not, an ensuite or not, where you are in the country, access etc etc so many variables, not including re-roofing. Being a trussed roof only makes it more costly.

This was a good thread a while back: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137740&start=15

Why mess around with a loft-con?

You end up losing room to a staircase so why bother?

Why not build an extension?

Hi we've got one box room which would be ideal for the stairs. We already have a single story extension and I don't think we'd get planning permission to put another floor on it as it would overlook the neighbours.

Our loft is 175cm high in the middle and so you can't stand up really at the moment

Thanks for the link. Has anyone had a situation where the walls had to be built up

Sponsored Links
If you only have 1.75m of loft height and such a shallow pitch , then you wont get a conversion in.

You would alternatively need to drop the floors lower then the bedroom window heads, or drastically alter the roof with eaves walls and lifting the roof - which will not normally be acceptable to planners

Regarding an extension, overlooking is not a major factor with first floor side extensions with front/rear facing windows

Our loft is 175cm high in the middle and so you can't stand up really at the moment
Plus you will lose around another 200mm at least in order to fit in steel, deeper joists, and insulation...

Thanks for the link. Has anyone had a situation where the walls had to be built up
Building up the walls won't help. You need to raise the roof by a good 600mm. You may or may not get planning to do that, but it starts getting very expensive.

Hmmm......that's bit of a nuisance. Thanks for your advice.

Maybe go down route of putting another floor on our extension. Presumably the only issue, bar planning permission, is whether the foundations would be ok for a second floor. The original plans say the footings would be a minimum 600x227 concrete strip min 600 below GL. What does this mean? Or is this nothing to do with it?

Also they left a tiny 2 metre squared courtyard as there is an inspection chamber in the middle of it. Are you able to build on this? Coups we put access inside through the floor, it's only going to be a utility room so no nice flooring.

Thanks for your help

BC are likely to want a few test holes dug to look at the existing foundations.

An inspection chamber can be inside a building provided an adequate cover is fitted, i.e. screw down, air tight,double seal etc.

This sounds a bit more feasible. What sort of cost would it be if it is about 20metres square??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back